Hi my hot cute girly and boy geeks. As you all know Valentine’s Day is coming up. You have must seen those cards and sweets in the shops already.
I, for one, don’t like Valentine’s Day. It’s corny and not in a good way. But maybe some of my fellow readers do love it. So that’s why you are getting this lovely post. My fellow blogger Theta and I teamed up for this and decided on 10 popular fandoms at the moments and gifts that go with those fandoms. I hope this will narrow it down for you to pick that special gift for your fellow and lovely geek.
M: stands for male gift ideas picked by Theta
F: stands for female gift ideas picked by me
- Doctor Who / Torchwood
- M: Is your man a Whovian who loves to be fashionable?
- M: Yes??? How about a t-shirt from Redbubble? They have lots of designs including some really funny mash-ups. (The “Time Story” and “The Who” t-shirts are very funny). http://www.redbubble.com/shop/dr+who+t-shirts?gclid=CJqj4JHD9rQCFW_KtAod0H8AQA
- M: Alternatively, if you want something from the BBC itself, they are doing t-shirts based on the stories from “Season 7a”. http://www.bbcshop.com/doctor-who/clothing/icat/doctorwhoclothing/
- M: Alternatively, if your man is into Doctor Who style drinking games, how about these nice shot glasses from Forbidden Planet. http://forbiddenplanet.com/?q=doctor+who+50th+anniversary+glass
- F: Even geeky girls like jewellery and it so happened to be that Harlequin Goldsmiths have their new Whovian collection up. Yes it’s pricey, but it’s also custom made, and can you really put a price tag on love? https://www.harlequin-goldsmiths.com/doctor-who/
- F: Your lady probably cried over the doctor Who episode with Vincent van Gogh. Probably? More like definitely. It was one of the most beautiful and sad episodes of the new Doctor Who series. And now she can drink her perfect cuppa tea from this stylish van Gogh Exploding Tardis mug while watching episodes. http://forbiddenplanet.com/78690-doctor-who-mug-van-gogh-exploding-tardis/
- Game of Thrones
- M: Unfortunately, I’m not too well up on the Game of Thrones fandom, so I can really only recommend the DVDs and Blu-Rays to be honest – especially as Season 2 is due out on 4 March in the UK.
- M: So if you want to catch up, how about the Game of Thrones Season 1 & 2 box set. Okay, it’s bit pricey, but it’s a “win win”. The guy in your life gets the box set of his favourite fandom, whilst you can bask in the handsomeness that is Sean Bean. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-Thrones-Season-Complete-Blu-ray/dp/B007V3OY0G/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1358671548&sr=8-11
- F: Winter is coming, or already here based on the snow. And now you can smell the part, yes
you heard me right, smell. Think geek has this awesome Fire and Blood Perfume, a scent worthy of the blood of the dragon, or your own Khalesi: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ee0d/?srp=21
- The Hobbit / Lord of the Rings
- M: Remember in “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” when Bilbo was told that his Elven sword “Sting” was nothing more than a letter opener? Well, giftware company The Noble Collection has taken that literally with the “Sting” letter opener which is available at Forbidden Planet and other good stockists. http://forbiddenplanet.com/94046-the-hobbit-letter-opener-sting/
- M: And, if the love of your life is a bit of completist, you could always look at getting him the letter opener set which includes “Sting”, “Glamdring” and “Orcrist”. (Just watch out for the price tag). http://forbiddenplanet.com/94055-the-hobbit-letter-opener-set/
- F: We can start with the obvious jewellery that was hot like 10 years ago when Lord of the Rings made its entrance to the screens, thinks like the Evenstar necklace, but that is so redundant. Why not get your lovely geeky lady one of these mini plush toys she can cuddle up to for night when you don’t spend together: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ee25/?srp=6
- F: Or these beautiful the one ring earrings to put on your favourite hobbit/elf/dwarf lady. Now only hope she won’t disappear while wearing these: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f265/?srp=37
- M: I am already going to assume that the chaps will already have both series on either DVD or, if you are male and follow that trait of having the latest technological gizmos, Blu Ray or downloaded it on Love Film or Netflix. Therefore, I have chosen the book “Sherlock: The Casebook”.
This isn’t just a companion book that accompanies the series. It explains the cultural impact of the Sherlock Holmes mythos, has an episode-by-episode breakdown of series one and two – along with the influences from the original Conan Doyle stories and where they figure in the episodes, and for the fans who have an eye on fan fiction (Nooooooo, not that kind of fan fiction), there’s an insight into the world of Sherlock from the point of view of Sherlock and John Watson themselves. Plus there’s the usual array of photos that are the fixture and fittings of a “making of” book. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sherlock-Casebook-Guy-Adams/dp/1849904251/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358664662&sr=1-2
- F: If your geeky girl likes board games, check out this special edition for Cluedo, you and your lady can play the parts in being Holmes and Watson and solving crimes: http://forbiddenplanet.com/92556-cluedo-sherlock-edition/
- F: As my lovely fellow blogger won’t touch the subject of that kind of fan fiction, I however will. You know what I mean. It is too bad there isn’t much Sherlock merchandise out there but if you want something special, you can always browse the Devian Art site. A lot of artists do commission work and you can order the most beautiful art pieces to give to your geeky girl, just go to the site: http://www.deviantart.com/ and search for Sherlock or Johnlock and contact the artist for your own commissioned work.
- M: This one I am going to cheat a little by combining this and the next category, whilst throwing in a ghost for good measure.
For those, who don’t know, “Being Human” revolves around a group of housemates – difference is, these housemates are a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost. To make it extra geeky, you get quite a few cast members who have appeared in other genre productions most notably Russell Tovey (“Doctor Who” and “Sherlock”), Lenora Critchlow (“Doctor Who”), Aidan Turner (“The Hobbit”) and Sinead Keenan (“Doctor Who”) – plus it’s created by Toby Whithouse who has scripted a few episodes of “Doctor Who”. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Being-Human-Blu-ray-Region-Free/dp/B007N6N6VY/ref=sr_1_5?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1358693737&sr=1-5
- F: Wow, there is so much nice and cool vampire stuff out there, but I’ll try to stick to the most popular or most awesome stuff out there. If your girl is into the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton, check out her site: http://www.laurellkhamilton.org/store/home.php She has everything from signed books, clothing, stuffed animals, jewellery and much, much more. Be sure to know who her favourite characters are.
- F: True blood: buy your girl her favourite blood type over at this site: http://www.trubeverage.com/
- F: How about the vervain necklace from the vampire diaries over at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Vampire-Diaries-Replica-Vervain-Necklace/dp/B00AYLP6TK/ref=sr_1_7?s=jewelry&ie=UTF8&qid=1358781625&sr=1-7&keywords=vampire+diaries Too bad it’s just a replica.
- F: The biggest werewolf hit at the moment is of course teen wolf. Check out Redbubble for some awesome T-shirts: http://www.redbubble.com/explore/merchandise+teen+wolf
- F: If you go to Etsy, you’ll find beautiful handmade stuff by fans, like this awesome triskele necklace: http://www.etsy.com/listing/108619508/teen-wolf-triskele-necklace?ref=sr_gallery_7&ga_search_query=teen+wolf&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=NL&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=teen+wolf
- F: Or what about this beautiful hairpin if your geeky girl has long hair: http://www.etsy.com/listing/96742546/werewolf-moon-teen-wolf-hair-pin-shawl?ref=sr_gallery_37&ga_search_query=teen+wolf&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=NL&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=teen+wolf
- Comics and movie adaptations
- M: Comic Book adaptations in the movies have been a bit hit and miss – for every “Avengers” you’ll get a “Punisher” (and I mean the Dolph Lundgren version from the 80’s… shudder). But, if you ask who is the geek of the superhero world, only one name comes to mind and that is ol’ web-head himself, Spider-man.
Now, whilst I liked Tobey Maguire’s interpretation of the role, I prefer the latest reboot “The Amazing Spider-Man” starring Andrew Garfield (“The Social Network”, “Never Let Me Go” and the “Doctor Who” two-parter from Season Three, “Daleks In Manhattan” and “Evolution Of The Daleks”). He is who I imagined Peter Parker to be – a loner, intelligent, awkward around the girls, loves his aunt and uncle – and he also manages to pull off the “Spider-man” part of his persona – smart mouth, brave and the everyman of the Marvel Universe.
And if that’s not enough, you get a great supporting cast including Emma Stone, Rhys Ifans, Sally Field, Martin Sheen and Denis Leary and brilliant direction by Marc Webb (“500 Days of Summer”)
Plus, if you’re fella is a real film geek like myself, there are loads of extras to get his teeth into including a Second Screen App for the iPad or Sony Tablet which gives more information on the film. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElA7xxJU91s
- F: Check out these cute earrings, your geeky girl can support her favourite action hero by wearing one of these: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/edd3/
- F: Or what about one of these pop vinyl figures. She can put one by her computer at work and let everyone know what kind of geek she really is: http://forbiddenplanet.com/vinyl/?sort=addition-date-desc&tag=dc&size=60
- M: Okay, I’m going to go with a film adaptation of a book that seems to be catching a lot of interest at present, especially due to the fact that it’s being released near Valentine’s Day itself (dependent on where you live) and that’s “Warm Bodies”. I’ve already read the novel written by Isaac Marion and the film is being billed as a zom-rom-com.
Basically, it’s the story of a zombie who is known as “R”, portrayed by Nicholas Hoult from “Skins”, “X-Men: First Class” and “About A Boy”, who is a bit of an unusual type – even for the undead. During a hunt, he meets a living girl by the name of Julie, portrayed by Teresa Palmer from “I Am Number Four”, “Bedtime Stories” and “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice”, and through a series of circumstances he starts developing emotions for her and starts getting in touch with his human side again.
I loved the book and I am really looking forward to the film, especially as it’s directed and scripted by Jonathan Levine who directed “50/50” which was one of my favourite films of 2011.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07s-cNFffDM – Trailer 1
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfiAkiO-RTY – Trailer 2
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GKzwcCbLCI – First four minutes extended trailer
- F: While doing my research for books, I wanted not to simply give you book options but something completely different. I came across this site: http://www.theliterarygiftcompany.com/index.asp this site sells everything that has to do with books. I’ll give you some of my favourites if you’re too lazy to browse through the whole site:
- F: How about the book Pride and Prejudice turned into a handbag: http://www.theliterarygiftcompany.com/book-handbag—pride-and-prejudice-11274-p.asp
- F: Or chocolate with book quotes on it, like this one: http://www.theliterarygiftcompany.com/b-is-for-book-lover-quotable-chocolate-bar-9550-p.asp
- F: Or these beautiful Holmes and Watson earrings, made out of the books: http://www.theliterarygiftcompany.com/holmes–watson-earrings-8547-p.asp (Oh wow, I need those myself!)
- F: With matching Hound of Baskervilles bracelet: http://www.theliterarygiftcompany.com/hound-of-the-baskervilles-bracelet-9608-p.asp (definitely going to order this when the money comes back in) They do however have more than just Sherlock Holmes.
- F: Or what about this lovely Shakespeare scarf: http://www.theliterarygiftcompany.com/shakespeare-jersey-scarf-10603-p.asp You know what, this is becoming one of my favourite websites to buy stuff from. I want and need it all!
- Star Trek
- M: Okay, we know what one of THE big movie events of this year is going to be this year – “Star Trek Into Darkness” starring Benedict Cumberbatch… I mean, Chris Pine and that lot from the last film.
Anyway, IDW comics are releasing a four part prequel called “Star Trek: Countdown To Darkness” written by Robert Orci, who is one of the script writers on the 2009 “Star Trek” film and the forthcoming “Star Trek Into Darkness”, and Mike Johnson, who is responsible for the ongoing “Star Trek” series for IDW. http://forbiddenplanet.com/94623-star-trek-countdown-to-darkness-1/
- M: Alternatively, for that Trekker AND Whovian in your life, try to get hold of the “Star Trek: The Next Generation” and “Doctor Who” crossover, “Assimilation2”. I have all eight issues and it was a fantastic mini-series, with the potential for a sequel. http://forbiddenplanet.com/comics/family/star-trek/star-trek-the-next-generationdoctor-who-assimilation/
- F: I am a geeky girl who also likes to cook and bake, and what better way to combine this with your fandom. The Spock oven Mitt: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ef2d/?srp=33
- F: Or the what about these cookie cutters: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ed0a/?srp=28
- F: Or the Enterprise Pizza Cutter: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/dea2/?srp=1
- Fantasy / miscellaneous
- M: This was THE tough category of this list, but I would have to go with the “Harry Potter” Ultimate Edition releases on Blu Ray which are currently at a steal of a price at Amazon in the UK.
These Blu Rays include not only extended cuts, in some instances of the feature films, but also special features which are more in depth than the standard releases. Currently, films 1-6 have a release in the format in the UK with films 7 and 8 recently being released in the US as a double pack. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_il_ti_dvd?rh=n%3A283926%2Ck%3Aharry+potter+ultimate+edition%2Cp_n_binding_browse-bin%3A383380011&bbn=283926&keywords=harry+potter+ultimate+edition&ie=UTF8&qid=1358708075&lo=dvd
- F: I put in this last fandom/subject so I have something to dump all the other awesome stuff I saw online. And to start, what do you think of these beauties: the Doorknockers from the Labyrinth in earrings: http://buzhandmade.deviantart.com/art/Knocker-earrings-Labyrinth-298150066
- F: What about Geek Chic Eye shadow from Think Geek: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ed46/ Guess which one I like best!
- F: Or what about this lovely chocolate molecule baby doll: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e6bf/
I hope you loved the ideas in this massive post. I know Theta and I had loads of fun browsing the net to find you the perfect gift ideas for Valentine’s Day.
Love, from both Theta and your hot cute girly geek, Mendy.